Belgium – Scotland
Scotland – Belgium
Ill – healthy
Missing my fiancé – seeing my family
Celebration – tears
Happiness – sadness
Visitors from home – alone again
Busy – relaxing
I don’t know if everybody who lives in another country, more or less far away from family and friends, has the same feeling about Christmas and being away. I love Christmas and I love that fact that I could fly home, even if only for 3 days, but part of my new family and friends stayed in Scotland. So I was happy at home, to see everybody and a little bit sad too because I missed the other ones. The same but the other way around was when I came back – tears because I left my family and my friends who I will see again in a couple of months but also tears of joy because I flew back to my fiancé and my friends in Scotland. I mean there is no week I don’t miss my family or my language, but I think Christmas is by far the hardest time – or maybe I’m just too soft ;). Are you living away from your home? Do you have the same? Being, living and belonging in two worlds, languages and countries?
But anyway, you can imagine that I was a bit stressed so I thought, after the stressful days, a bit of relaxation after Christmas was just the thing:
5 things I do to recap Christmas – and to relax after
- Take some shortcrust pastry, roll it out and put it in the oven for more or less 5 minutes at 200 degrees.
- Cut a lot of vegetables (we used courgette, mushrooms and pepper). We roasted them gently and put some tomato puree in the mixture, and of course some spices.
- Cut some feta cheese into little cubes.
- Take the pastry out of the oven and fill it in the middle with the mixture and the feta cubes
- Fold the pastry over the mixture to create a closed ‘bag’ and put it in the oven again for 10-15 minutes (till the pastry “bag” is brown)
- Enjoy the meal
3) Start to make some crafty things which haven’t anything to do with Christmas, such as bath bombs like this.
4) I always arrange my Christmas presents and cards around me and have a proper look and enjoy again the lovely gestures from people and ehm, yes, the presents, then I have a think if I thanked everybody properly and write some mails and messages to tell them how much I enjoyed that they thought of me.
5) Take a long bath with a good book and maybe your bath bomb which you made yourself 😉